The Benevolent Fund helps serving or retired subpostmasters and their dependents who fall on hard times.
As a registered charity, founded in 1944, the aim of the Benevolent Fund is to grant temporary assistance in cases of need to serving or former subpostmasters. It can also offer help to serving or former NFSP employees and the widows, widowers, or children of any of these persons in cases of severe illness, bereavement or other domestic distress.
Full details of the Benevolent Fund's objects are available here.
HOW WE HELP
The type of assistance which might be provided includes:
- installing equipment in the post office to aid an individual’s ability to continue to work.
- contributing towards the cost of supporting dependents in times of financial difficulty.
- contributing towards holiday costs for individuals with a disability or who are convalescing.
- adapting homes and privately owned vehicles for individuals with a disability.
The Benevolent Fund also finances a Trauma Counselling Helpline to assist following a traumatic situation or incident in life, such as trauma reaction after an attack or raid.
WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT
The Benevolent Fund relies on voluntary contributions, and we greatly appreciate any support you are able to provide. Our preferred way to receive donations from NFSP members is by deduction from your monthly Post Office salary through the charity payroll giving scheme. Simply fill in and return the payroll giving form to start donating to the Fund today.
If you are holding a fundraising event to raise money for the Fund, you can download a sponsorship form to keep track of your donations.
If you would like a Benevolent Fund collecting tin to place on your post office or retail counter, contact NFSP Headquarters or call 01273 452324.
Members who already have collecting tins should ensure that they bank any money raised. There are two options available:
- Money can be paid in by banking the contents of the tin; completing the card issued together with the tin; and sending the completed card and a cheque made payable to ‘NFSP Benevolent Fund’ to NFSP Headquarters.
- Alternatively, money can be paid in via Transcash, using the account number 6 213 44184. If you use this option, please ensure you email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of the amount paid into the account and the box number, so that a receipt can be issued.
APPLY TO THE BENEVOLENT FUND
Current and retired subpostmasters and their families are all eligible to receive help from the Benevolent Fund. To apply to the Fund, first complete the application form.
For further information about the Benevolent Fund email email@example.com or call NFSP Headquarters on 01273 452324.