Blog

Last in the series - Using Google in your business

07 July 2017

This is the last blog in the series of “Using Google for your business”.

Having set up your business on Google search and created your Google+ business page, it is now time to consider how you engage with and build your audience.

Your tagline and the information about your business is the starting point of your engagement with your customer.  This is the first thing people see!! Your tagline should grab people’s attention so that it stands out from the other information that appears in “search”.  You can edit this by clicking on the “edit profile” button in the profile section of your Google+ account.

One of the key things about being found and improving your customer engagement with a platform such as Google+ is to tell your customers how they can find you.  By linking all your online mediums together, it makes it easier for customers to find your page as well as it improves your businesses Search Engine Optimisation (SEO).  So, it is beneficial to consider how you connect your Google+ business page to your Facebook page/ /twitter/ YouTube account or website should you have one or will have one in the future.

Setting your business with “Google+ direct” allows customers to find your Google+ business page easily and without having to view lots of detail.  Effectively, it brings up only your Google+ business page link and content you have produced in your page into the search results.  Customers type “+yourchosenbusiness” name in the Google search bar.  Once you have completed your Google+ profile and started posting content you will be asked if you would like to set up your Google+ direct name.

Giving customers a reason to engage with you and your business is the purpose of having a Google+ business page.  You need to consider giving customers a reason to do so, otherwise they won’t connect to you or potentially switch off if they are an existing connection.  Google uses a tool called “Circles” which allows you to connect with customers, businesses or other groups that all share the same type of interest.  So, you could set up “Circles” called “customers” and “suppliers” as examples or expand this into Greetings Cards, Confectionery and so forth.  This allows you to talk to the group as one.

It is also important to join and participate in other “communities” as this allows you to Network, building your relationship with other groups by sharing your comments or information that you may feel would be helpful as well as receiving information that may help you understand what is happening locally or in your business environment.

Creating interactive content is really important.  Customers will get really bored if you are just advertising too them.  Think about how you can “Educate” your customer, how you can be “Engaging” i.e. having a bit of fun and then think about what information you can provide.  You should aim to have content where 80% of it is educational and fun with the remaining 20% being information. 

So, let’s look at an example.  If you wanted to promote Pancake day you may want to teach your customers about what they need to make pancakes and how to make them.  This could be completed by a set of instructions or a video – both educational and engaging!  Then you can give them some information on what you are selling and where it is in the store and whether there are any special offers etc.

One last thing to cover is the use of hash tags #.  These are a really important tool.  In the Social media world businesses and customers following certain topics and they do this through their page.  Social media platforms identify these topics when content writers use hashtags which means that if you are looking at reaching a certain type of audience you should put a hashtag at the end of or in the content.  So for example if I was informing customers how to make a pancake at the end of the content I might put the following hashtags #pancakeday #pancake #shrovetuesday.  I would recommend putting no more than 3 hashtags into content.

Engage with audience using googles unique tools

  • Circles
  • Join communities
  • Create interactive posts with call to action – thing about what you are writing , don't sell to your customers all the time.  Content should be Educational, Engaging, Information
  • Ensure you use hash tags #

I hope you have found this series useful.  If you have any questions or would like help on Social Media please don’t hesitate to register your request for help on the NFSP website www.nfsp.org/retail-Team-enquiry